Alina V. Venkova
Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, Saint Petersburg, Russia
48, Moika Emb., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 191186
Theory and History of Culture Department, Associate Professor
D. S. Likhachev Russian Institute of Cultural and Natural Heritage, Moscow
2, st. Cosmonauts, Moscow, Russian Federation, 129301
Principal Research Fellow of the Center for Basic Studies in the Sphere of Culture
PhD in Cultural Studies
ORCID: 0000-0002-3075-612X Ksenia S. Maksimova
Herzen State Pedagogical University
48, Moika Emb., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 191186
Theory and History of Culture Department, Postgraduate Student
ORCID: 0000-0002-6631-2301“Artistic Research” as a new form of the artistic and academic practiceAbstract:
The article examines the genesis, meaning and current state of a new sphere of hybrid artistic activity – research based on artistic practice (artistic research). The foundations and practical explications of three forms of artistic research – art history, socially oriented and research are shown.
The importance of the semantics of the concept of "research" is shown for the described artistic practice, which seeks to redefine at the present stage the semantic content of the concepts of "research", "artist", "art", "scientist". The interdisciplinary nature of these aspirations is revealed. The sensitivity of artistic research practice to the problem of trans- and intermediality is shown.
The problem of the importance of the issue of medium specificity for modern and contemporary artistic experience is problematized in the research field of theoretical reflection on this concept.
The issue of the boundaries of the subject area of artistic research is considered.
The importance of cooperation and co-creation practices in the context of this artistic activity is shown.
It is shown that the research method based on artistic practice grows out of opening the boundaries of art genres and the framework of academic disciplines. That emphasizes the importance of participatory, performative and tactile elements of experience.
Research based on artistic practice is primarily aimed at building trajectories of interaction between members of communities of different levels – from microcommunities to global collectives.
The practice of artistic research fits into the general trend of the new responsibility of the artist, who is keen on developing tools for decolonizing consciousness, everyday practices and ethical imperatives of members of modern social groups.Key words:
Artistic Research, creative practices research, Participatory Art Based Research, art intervention, art education.References:
- Malterud, N. (2012). Artistic research – necessary and challenging. Nordic Journal of Art and Research. Retrieved December 24, 2020, from https://www.ninamalterud.no/pdf/tekster_kunstutd/Malterud_Artistic_Research_2012.pdf
- Jørgensenutvalget. (2007). Vekt på kunstnerisk utviklingsarbeid. https://ekstern.filer.uib.no/kmd/W3-publisering/Forskning/Kunstnerisk%20utviklingsarbeid/UHR_vekt_paa_kunstnerisk_utviklingsarbeid_2007_Jørgensen.pdf
- Lesage, D. (2009). Who’s Afraid of Artistic Research? On measuring artistic research output. Art and research. A Journal of Ideas, Contexts and Methods. Retrieved December 24, 2020, from http://www.artandresearch.org.uk/v2n2/pdfs/lesage.pdf
- Voropay L. «Artistic Research» as a symptom: about the artist’s place in cognitive capitalism. moscowartmagazine.com: Moscow Art Magazine. 2013. Available at: http://moscowartmagazine.com/issue/6/article/55 (accessed 24 December 2020).
- Bologna Declaration, June 19, 1999, http://www.ehea.info/media.ehea.info/file/Ministerial_conferences/02/8/1999_Bologna_Declaration_English_553028.pdf
- Frayling, С. (1994). Research in Art and Design. Royal College of Art Research Papers, Vol 1, No 1.
- Eisner, E. (2008). Art and Knowledge. In J. Gary Knowles & Ardra L. Cole (Eds.), Handbook of the Arts in Qualitative Research: Perspectives, Methodologies, Examples, and Issues (pp. 3-12). SAGE Publications.
- Somers, G. (2020). The secrets and passions of William Shakespeare. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/rc.1026244
- Dibosa, D., Ophuysen, T (n.d.). ‘We are lateral thinkers and boundary pushers’. SHARE Academic Network. http://www.sharenetwork.eu/images/products/7/3-we-are-lateral-thinkers-and-boundary-pushers-examples.pdf
- Klein, J. (2017). What is artistic research? Journal for Artistic Research. Retrieved December 24, 2020, from https://www.jar-online.net/what-artistic-research
- Emmerson, S., Lanskey, B. (2020). Beyond black and white. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/NMH-AR.1081430
- Fallowfield, E. (2020). Multiphonics for stringed instruments: performance practice and research practice. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/NMH-AR.1057169
- Ingamells, A. (2020). Up down left right. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/rc.966068
- Wynne-Willson, P. (2020). Orange polar bear –a cross-cultural performance piece for teenagers in Seoul and Birmingham. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/rc.1058856
- Kastinen, A.A. (2021). Six hours of exploratory improvisation. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/rc.1089971
- Engelhardt, A. (2020). Machinic infrastructures of truth. Garage.digital. https://garage.digital/ru/projects/machinic-infrastructures-of-truth-2020
- Schenk, F. (2020). Biomimetics, color and the arts. Research catalogue. An international database for artistic research. https://doi.org/10.22501/rc.972064
- Hannula, M., Suoranta, J., Vadén T. (2005). Artistic Research — Theories, Methods and Practices. Academy of Fine Arts, University of Gothenburg.
- SHARE Academic Network. (n.d.). Overview of research in the arts in Europe. Institutions and Programmes. http://sharenetwork.eu/artistic-research-overview
- The Vienna Declaration on Artistic Research, 2020, https://societyforartisticresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Vienna-Declaration-on-Artistic-Research-Final.pdf
- Dibosa, D., Ophuysen, T (n.d.). Emerging Models for Artistic Research across Europe. SHARE Academic Network. http://www.sharenetwork.eu/images/products/5/1-emerging-models-for-artistic-research-across-europe.pdf
Venkova, A., Maksimova, K. (2021) “Artistic Research” as a new form of the artistic and academic practice. International Journal of Cultural Research, 1 (42), 109–121. DOI: 10.52173/2079-1100_2021_1_109