Darya V. BAYDINA
National Research University Higher School of Economics
20, Myasnitskaya str., Moscow, 101000, Russian Federation
Postgraduate Student of Postgraduate School for Arts and Design
ORCID: 0000-0003-3870-409XExperimental Dance Scene in Russia: Periodization, New Issues and Current Genres of Modern Russian DanceAbstract:
Modern Russian dance is a complex phenomenon for analysis. According to N. V. Kuryumova, this difficulty lies, in particular, in the variability of modern dance, its openness to synthesis with new phenomena of the cultural life of society, as well as its isolation from the historical narrative. Therefore, we can say that today modern Russian dance has not been sufficiently studied, including through the prism of its development path. The article outlines the stages of development of modern Russian dance, which are based on a review of the research interest and creative experiments of Russian choreographers and dance artists. The creative environment of each stage in the development of modern Russian dance has been formed and continues to be formed in complex and ambiguous realities, dictating frequent restrictions and conditions (financing problems, underdeveloped management, lack of infrastructures and institutions, etc.), which makes his path difficult and special. The performative and hybrid nature of dance practices (the appearance of modern dance, dance performances at galleries, museums, etc.), new trends in the performing arts (somatic practices on stage) also give rise to interest in the theoretical understanding of what is happening in the contemporary Russian dance community, which determines the relevance of the scientific study of the experimental dance scene in Russia and makes it possible to identify new issues of modern Russian dance. The article presents an attempt to describe the currently relevant trends in the modern experimental dance scene in Russia: modern, abstract dance, conceptual dance, dance theater (physical theater), video art, dance performance. It should be noted that despite the variety of dance styles, the definition of the genre at the present time in the space of the modern experimental dance scene most often fades into the background, since it cannot always be accurately determined. As performance theory researcher Daria Demekhina noted, the choice of one or another definition is rather a matter of satisfying the audience’s expectations.Key words:
modern Russian dance, modern dance, new dance, experimental dance, abstract dance, conceptual dance, dance theater, dance performance, somatics, artistic practices, physicality.References:
- Kuryumova,N. V. (2014). Sovremenniy tanez kak culturniy micro cosmos: telesnie modeli na rubeje moderniscoy / postmoderniscoy cultur [Contemporary dance as a cultural microcosm: bodily models at the turn of modernist / postmodern cultures], Vestnik Gumanitarnogo universiteta, 1 (4).165–176.(In Russian).
- Kuryumova,N. V. (2011). Sovremennyy tanets v kul’ture XX veka: Smena modeley telesnosti: Avtoref. dis. … kand. kul’turologii. [Contemporary dance in the culture of the XX century: The change of models of physicality. Abstract dis. … cand. cultural studies]. Yekaterinburg.(In Russian).
- Beseda s Dashey Demyokhinoy / Chto pochitat’ o performanse? [Conversation with Dasha Demekhina / What to read about performance?]. https://baletmoskva.ru (accessed: June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Sirotkina,I. E. (2011). Svobodnoye dvizheniye i plasticheskiy tanets v Rossii [Free movement and plastic dance in Russia]. Novoye literaturnoye obozreniye. (In Russian).
- Sirotkina,I. E. (2019). Plyaska po instruktsii: sozdaniye «sovetskogo massovogo tantsa» [Dance according to instructions: the creation of the Soviet mass dance]. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta,1 (44). 153–164.(In Russian).
- Narsky,I. V. (2018). Kak partiya narod tantsevat’ uchila, kak baletmeystery yey pomogali, i chto iz etogo vyshlo: Kul’turnaya istoriya sovetskoy tantseval’noy samodeyatel’nosti [How the Party taught the people to dance, how the choreographers helped her, and what came of it: A Cultural History of Soviet Amateur Dance]. Novoye literaturnoye obozreniye. (In Russian).
- Kuryumova,N. V., Gordeeva A. A. (2020). Seredina 1970 – nachalo XXI veka [Mid 1970 – the beginning of the XXI century]. Bol’shaya rossiyskaya entsiklopediya. Elektronnaya versiya.https://bigenc.ru/theatre_and_cinema/text/5551769. (accessed: June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Gordeeva,T. V. (2018). Vozniknoveniye kul’turnogo mira otechestvennogo sovremennogo tantsa [The emergence of the cultural world of Russian contemporary dance], Vestnik Akademii Russkogo baleta im. A.Y. Vaganovoy, 3. 60–74.(In Russian).
- Nikitin,V. Yu. Kak poymat’ pokemona ili Gde nayti sovremennyy tanets v Rossii [How to catch Pokemon or Where to find a modern dance in Russia]. In Tantseval’nyy Klondayk.http://dancerussia.ru/publication/712.html/ (accessed:June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Nikitin,V. Yu. (2016). Sovremennyy tanets ili contemporary dance [Modern dance or contemporary dance], Teatr. Zhivopis’. Kino. Muzyka, 4. 77–96.(In Russian).
- Tarakanova,O. (2019). Sovremennyye tantsy: vidy i stili [Modern dances: types and styles]. URL: https://historyclothing.ru/kakie-brand/kakie-seychas-sovremennye-tantsy.html. (accessed:June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Tarakanova,O. (2019). Ne nado stesnyat’sya: gid po rossiyskomu sovremennomu tantsu [Don’t be shy: a guide to Russian modern dance]. Nozh. URL: https://knife.media/new-dance/ (accessed:June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Nikitin,V. Yu. (2021). O nekotorykh problemakh obucheniya distsipline «sovremennyy tanets» v rossiyskoy khoreograficheskoy pedagogike [On some problems of teaching the discipline modern dance in Russian choreographic pedagogy], Vestnik MGUKI, 1 (99). 172–180.(In Russian).
- Sirotkina,I. E. (2015). Aysedora Dunkan: Sto desyat’ let svobodnogo tantsa [Isadora Duncan: One hundred and ten years of free dance], Teatr, 2 (20). https://rucont.ru/efd/635141 (accessed:June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Kul’turnyy tsentr ZIL [ZIL Cultural Center]. https://zilcc.ru/events/tanczevalnyj-performans-ot-dvuh-do-pyati-2/?ysclid=l515rhl7dw706147333. (accessed:June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Laschenov,V. (2017). Tanets – eto ne ayfon [Dance is not an iPhone resource], Khudozhestvennyy zhurnal,103. http://moscowartmagazine.com/issue/64/article/1347 (accessed: June25, 2022).(In Russian).
- Kozonina,A. (2021). Strannyye tantsy: teorii i istorii vokrug tantseval’nogo performansa v Rossii [Strange Dances: Theories and Stories around Dance performance in Russia]. Muzey sovremennogo iskusstva «Garazh». (In Russian).
Baydina, D. (2022) Experimental Dance Scene in Russia: Periodization, New Issues and Current Genres of Modern Russian Dance. International Journal of Cultural Research, 4 (49). 70–82. DOI: 10.52173/2079-1100_2022_4_70