Olga V. GRYZUNOVA
Vaganova Ballet Academy
2 Str. Zodchego Rossi, Saint Petersburg, 191023, Russian Federation
Associate Professor of Balletmaster’s Education Department
PhD (Art History)
ORCID: 0000-0002-9066-952X The Role of Media Technologies in Jiří Kylián’s Performances “Gods and Dogs” and “Vanishing Twin”Abstract:
Jiří Kylián’s performances of the 2000s are characterized by attempts through the art of choreography to show that «invisible», «non-verbalized», which significantly affects a person’s life. Minimalistic in design, these works allow you to focus on choreography, its interaction with music (both classical and neo-avantgarde), with stage space, with digital media, sometimes with props. The author of the report selected a one-act plays «Gods and Dogs» and «Vanishing Twin» (2008) from the list of Kylián’s later works, created with the participation of composer Dirk P. Haubrich and computer engineers Tatsuo Unemi and Daniel Bisig. The review of the features of the use of interactive media projections in the productions of «Gods and Dogs» and «Vanishing Twin», conducted in the article, shows how the practical development of the artistic potential of such technologies went in the Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT). In these productions, the choreographer’s conceptual idea organizes the musical-choreographic and stage spaces into a single whole. However, interactive media projection is becoming an equally important translator of the idea. In the play «Gods and Dogs», it allows you to create the illusion of an instantaneous transformation of the body into a different state, and in «Vanishing Twin» it creates a moving background, an alternative to the decoration. Based on the material of Kylián’s productions, one can see how media projections influence the dramaturgy of choreography, reveal the choreographer’s idea and partially subordinate it to the specifics of the technical limitations of the media tools were new at that time. The experiments of Kylián’s team contributed to the expansion of new production tools in the field of stage choreography. The improvement of such technologies to our time and the growth of their demand in the theatres require further study of the potential of media, including from the standpoint of dramatic principles.Key words:
Jiří Kylián, «Gods and Dogs», «Vanishing Twin», Dirk P. Haubrich, Tatsuo Unemi, Daniel Bisig, media and contemporary dance.References:
- Bremser, M., & Nicholas, L. (Eds.). (1993). International Dictionary of Ballet: LZ (Vol. 2). St. James Press.
- Dirk Haubrich’s official website. Creations.Retrieved April 20, 2022 from http://www.dirkhaubrich.com/creationsWithKylian.html.
- Jiří Kylián’s official website. Gods and Dogs.Retrieved April 20, 2022 fromhttp://www.jirikylian.com/creations/theatre/gods_and_dogs/info.
- Den Norske Opera & Ballett. Gods and Dogs studiotrailer [Video].Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/394880299.
- Goncharenko, S. S. (2014) O principe barochnogo cikloobrazovanija v kvartetah Bethovena [Concerning the Principles of Baroque Cycle Formation in Beethoven’s String Quartets], Problemy muzykal’noj nauki, 3. 11–15. (In Russian).
- Bisig, D., & Unemi, T. (2010). Cycles-blending natural and artificial properties in a generative artwork. In Proceedings of the 13th Generative Art Conference, 140–154.
- Bisig, D., & Unemi, T. (2009). Swarms on stage-swarm simulations for dance performance. In Proceedings of the Generative Art Conference. 1–9.
Gryzunova, O. (2022) The Role of Media Technologies in Jiří Kylián’s Performances “Gods and Dogs” and “Vanishing Twin”. International Journal of Cultural Research, 4 (49). 47–57. DOI: 10.52173/2079-1100_2022_4_47