Liudmila V. KOMUTSTSI
Sevastopol State University
33, Universitetskaya st., Sevastopol, Russian Federation, 299053
Professor at the Department of Theory and Practice of Translation
Doctor of Science in Philology
ORCID: 0000-0002-1412-0201Alexander A. PRONIN
Saint Petersburg State University
26, 1st Line, Vasilyevskiy Ostrov, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 199004
Professor at the Department of Tele-Radio Journalism
Doctor of Science in Philology
ORCID: 0000-0001-8606-2867Media Narratives and their Perspectives in RussiaAbstract:
Narratives have been studied in the USA, the EU countries and in Canada within a number of profile disciplines such as narrative journalism, the theory of intermediality and transmedial narratology since the 1990s. In parallel to theorising, the production of transmedial narratives by combining different media is being explored there. Russian narrative journalism as a discipline in its own right is still in the shell while multimedia projects tend to remain a fairly uncommon practice embarked upon mostly by the initiative groups of documentary filmmakers. The article addresses this issue by analysing some new forms and types of documentary narratives, their role and the ways they affect today’s cultural landscape. By characterizing a number of international and Russian web-documentary projects as a specific genre of narrative journalism, the authors analyse their advantages and limitations and consider some of the factors causing the qualitative and quantitative lag of such practices in the Russian journalism. Drawing on the material under study and on the interview conducted with the Italian photojournalist Giorgio Bianchi, the authors highlight the principles of creating an artistic-documentary project, which include the desire to create an image through which the journalist seeks to express the truth, the sincerity of the emotions generated by reality, the text as a linking element between the image and emotions and the selection of scenes to build a coherent story. The conclusions from the analysis are rather contradictory. On the one hand, narrative journalism and web-documentary projects, as its new transmedial genre, are evolving, seeking to tell the dramas of our era through private stories about an individual’s personal experience, and such stories are in demand as forms of truth expression in the era of “post-truth”. On the other hand, such projects go against the political engagement both in Russia and abroad, and one can only hope that their cognitive potential will be fully realised in the future. Key words:
postclassical narratology, narrative journalism, transmedial narratology, web-documentary.References:
- Baroni, R. & Goudmand, A. (2019). Narratologie transmédiale / Transmedial Narratology. Glossaire du RéNaF. https://wp.unil.ch/narratologie/2019/03/narratologie-transmediale-transmedial-narratology/
- Baynham, M., De Fina, A.(2016). Narrative analysis in migrant and transnational contexts. Researching Multilingualism. Critical and ethnographic perspectives.Marylin Martin-Jones, ed. Routledge, 31-45. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311328026_Narrative_analysis_in_migrant_and_transnational_contexts
- Bear 71. https://bear71vr.nfb.ca/
- Bianchi, G. Ukraine: The Silent War. LensCuture.https://www.lensculture.com/articles/giorgio-bianchi-ukraine-the-silent-war.
- Bruner, J. (1991). The Narrative Construction of Reality. Critical Inquiry,18 (1), 1–21.
- Dvorko, N.I. (2014). Interaktivnyy dokumental’nyy fil’m kak fenomen tsifrovoy epokhi [Interactive documentary film as a phenomenon of the digital age] // Istoricheskaya i sotsial’no-obrazovatel’naya mysl‘ [Historical and socio-educational thought]. №5 (27), 301 – 307. (In Russian).
- Gaza Sderot. Life in spite of everything, 2009. http://gaza-sderot.arte.tv/
- Gifreu, A. (2010). The interactive multimedia documentary. A proposed analysis model. Department of Communication postgraduate programs research studies. Pompeu Fabra University. 162 p.
- A global guide to the first world war – interactive documentary. Kiln.it, Francesca Panettaet al. Wed. 23 Jul 2014. https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2014/jul/23/a-global-guide-to-the-first-world-war-interactive-documentary
- Groznyy: 9 gorodov [Grozny: 9 Cities]. http://groznyninecities.com/(In Russian).
- Hanging Tree (fan version of the song, uploaded by Caroline and Gillian Byrd, US). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMXmsMyRLxg
- Jenkins, H. (1995). Textual Poachers.Television Fans andParticipatory Culture. New York & London: Routledge. 352 p.
- Jenkins, H. (2003). Transmedia Storytelling. MIT Technology Review. January 15. http://www.technologyreview.com/news/401760/transmedia-storytelling/
- Krymskiye istorii. Telekanal REN TV. 28 marta 2014 [Crimean Stories. REN TV Channel. March 28, 2014]. https://ren.tv/project/krymskie-istorii(In Russian).
- La cité des morts – Ciudad Juarez. Ecrit par Jean-Christophe Rampal et Marc Fernandez. Lacitedemortes.net. http://www.lacitedesmortes.net/a-propos/
- Mäkelä, M.(2019). Literary Facebook Narratology: Experientiality, Simultaneity, Tellability // post-print version of an article published in Partial Answers,17:1, 159–182. https://doi.org/10.1353/pan.2019.0009
- McMoney. _docubase. MIT Open Documentary Lab.https://docubase.mit.edu/project/fort-mcmoney/
- Orobiy S.P. (2013). «Vso chto ugodno, tol’ko ne roman»: Dzhoys, Dzhobs i poetika fluda[“Anything but a novel”: Joyce, Jobs and the Poetics of Flood] // Semiosfera narratologii: dialog yazykov i kul’tur [Semiosphere of Narratology: A Dialogue of Languages and Cultures]. Balashov: Nikolayev, 157 –161. (In Russian).
- Ostrov Krym. Tsentral’nyy Krym. Dokumental’nyy fil’m [The Isle of Crimea. Central Crimea. Documentary]. https://www.1tv.ru/doc/pro-puteshestviya/ostrov-krym-tsentralnyy-krym(In Russian).
- Prichina rasstrela [Reason for the Execution].http://prichina.memo.ru/caption-more/(In Russian).
- Prison Valley. _docubase. MIT Open Documentary Lab.https://docubase.mit.edu/project/prison-valley-2/ McMoney. _docubase. MIT Open Documentary Lab. https://docubase.mit.edu/project/fort-mcmoney/
- Ravindran, M.Making transmedia work for documentaries. Real Screen.July 09, 2014. http://realscreen.com/2014/07/09/making-transmedia-work-for-docs/
- Santi, B. (2013). Veb-dokumentalistika: vyrazitel’nyy potentsial mul’timediynoy sredy [Web Documentary: The Expressive Potential of the Multimedia Environment] // Obshchestvo. Sreda. Razvitiye[Society. Environment. Development].№ 4 (29),155 –159.(In Russian).
- Sharp, L.M. (2009). Creative Nonfiction Illuminated: Cross-Disciplinary Spotlights: Ph.D. dissertation. The University of Arizona, 157 p.
- Shestnadtsat’ minus. RIA novosti[Sixteen Minus. RIA News]. April 29th, 2013. https://ria.ru/20130429/934551592.html(In Russian).
- Somers, M. R., Gibson G. D. (1994). Reclaiming the Epistemological ‘Other’: Narrative and the Social Constitution of Identity. Social Theory and the Politics of Identity. C. Calhoun (ed.). Oxford UK &Cambridge USA: Blackwell. P. 37–99.
- Susaninskoy tropoy [Down the Susanin’s Trail]. http://www.susanin.radioportal.ru/#Главное_меню(In Russian).
- Wolf, W.(2011). Narratology and Media(lity): The Transmedial Expansion of a Literary Discipline and Possible Consequences. In: Current Trends in Narratology. Ed. Greta Olson. Berlin: De Gruyter. P. 145–180.
- “Yesli soldaty zashchishchayut tela, to iskusstvo zashchishchayet dushi”[If soldiers are there to protect bodies, art is there to protects souls] // Information Center of Sevastopol University, 21.02.2019. https://www.sevsu.ru/novosti/item/5343-esli-soldaty-zashchishchayut-tela-to-iskusstvo-zashchishchaet-ikh-dushi-izvestnyj-evropejskij-fotodokumentalist-vstretilsya-so-studentami-sevgu.(In Russian).
- You‘re Beautiful (literal video version of the James Blunt song, uploaded by Simeon Bisas). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOlI5Qiq-9g
Komutstsi, L., Pronin, A. (2021). Media Narratives and their Perspectives in Russia. International Journal of Cultural Research, 2 (43), 87–101. DOI: 10.52173/2079-1100_2021_2_87