Irina V. MALYGINA
Moscow State Linguistic University
38 Ostozhenka st., Moscow, 119034 Russian Federation
Department of World Culture, Institute of Humanities and Applied Sciences
Doctor of Science (Philosophy)
ORCID: 0000-0002-2145-7953The Phenomenon of Identity in the Context of Historical and Cultural DynamicsAbstract:
The article deals with the genesis of cultural identity and its evolution in the context of universal vectors of historical dynamics.
Based on the results of interdisciplinary research, cultural identity is defined as a socio-psychological phenomenon that has a complex internal structure, indicating the inseparable unity of rational, unconscious, sensual and behavioural components in the identification processes. However, any reduction of this concept when describing the practices of human self-determination in contemporary culture indicates the substitution of the phenomenon of identity with other forms of self-determination and self-representation of a person in culture, which may be related but not equal to identity. However, there is a tendency of transformation of the semantic space of the concept of "cultural identity", due to the uncontrolled growth of research interpretations, which can distort the understanding of the essence of contemporary cultural and identity processes and encourages the expansion of the conceptual tools in their description.
The genesis and essential characteristics of cultural identity are justified from the perspective of the semantic genetic theory of culture, in which the emergence of a self-conscious subject, able to make sense of the world in the parameters of I – other, is considered as the primary impetus of cultural genesis. Analysis of the vectors of historical dynamics has allowed us to record a consistent, historically and culturally conditioned process of weakening the human connection with nature, and later with the main "units of survival" - ethnic and national communities. In this regard, justifies the essential characteristic and the main function of cultural identity as a way to overcome the "shock of existential alienation" in the process of constant decay of the initial syncretism and achieve unity with the world through culture.
It is noted that the expansion of the boundaries of personal freedom, the strengthening of individualization, the gradual fading of the acuteness of the perception of "the other" have caused an extremely difficult situation with human self-determination in the post-culture, led to the replacement of identity as a complex set of rational settings and emotional experiences with its simulacra, situational representations and masks.Key words:
culture, post-culture, cultural identity, historical and cultural dynamics, meaning genesis, syncresis, self – other, own – stranger, participation, self-determination, identity, difference, representations, simulacra of identity.References:
- Bychkov,V.V. (2012) Estetika[Aesthetics] KNORUS.(In Russian).
- Stjopin, V.S. (2000) Teoreticheskoje znanije (struktura, istoricheskaja evjljutsija [Theoretical knowledge (structure, historical evolution)], Progress-Traditsija,. (In Russian).
- Pelipenko, A.A. (2016) Manifest neomoderna [The neo-modern manifesto], Lichnost’. Kyl’tura. Obschestvo. XVIII. Vyp.3–4 (91–92) 40–49. (In Russian).
- Аkkеr, R. van den, Gibbons, E, Vermjulen, Т. (2019) Metamodernizm. Istorichnoct’, affekt i glubina posle postmodernizma. [Metamodernism. Historicism, affect and depth after postmodernism], Ripol-Klassik. (In Russian).
- Malygina, I.V. (2021). Kulturnyje identichnosti v postglobal’nom mire [Сultural identities in a post-globalised world], Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta, Vyp.13 (855).348–361. (In Russian).
- Drobysheva, E.E. (2022). Kul’turnaja pamjat’ kak aksiologicheskij reguljator [Cultural memory as an axiological regulator], Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universitetaVyp.7 (862). (In Russian).
- Pelipenko, А.А., Jakovenko, I.G. (1998). Kultura kak sistema [Culture as a system], Jazyki russkoj kultury. (In Russian).
- Pelipenko,А.А. (2010) Identichnost’: smyslogtntticheskije osnovanija [Identity: Meaning-bearing foundations] Voprosy sotsial’noj teorii.Tom 4.147–170. (In Russian).
- Vernadskij, V.I. (1989). Biosfera i noosfera [The btosphere and the noosphere], Nauka (In Russian).
- Sinergetika, Ontologija (2013). [Synergetics. Ontology], Tsentr gumanitarnyh initsiativ (In Russian).
- Nazaretjan, A.P. (2001). Tsivilizatsionnyje krizisy v kontekste Universal’noj istorii: Sinergetika, psihologija, futurologija [Civilizational Crises in the Context of Universal History: Synergetics, Psychology and Futurology], PERSE. (In Russian).
- Fromm,E. (1998). Puti iz bolnogo obschestva,Problema cheloveka v zapadnoj filosofii.443-482. Progress. (In Russian).
- Malygina, I.V. (2017). Dinamika etnokul’turnoj identichnosti [Ways out of a sick society],Kultura kultury, 1. (In Russian).
- Pelipenko, А.А. (2007). Rozhdenije smysla [The birth of meaning], Lichnost’. Kyl’tura. Obschestvo.Vyp. 3 (37). 69–95. (In Russian).
- Adorno, T.-V., Horkyajmer M. (1997). Dialektika prosveschenija. Filosofskije fragmenty [The dialectic of enlightenment. Philosophical Fragments.], Medium, Juventa. (In Russian).
- Shtajn, О.А. (2013). Maska kak forma identichnosti. Vvedenie v filosofiju obraza [The mask as a form of identity. Introduction to the philosophy of the image] (In Russian).
Malygina, I. (2023) The Phenomenon of Identity in the Context of Historical and Cultural Dynamics. International Journal of Cultural Research, 2 (51). 44–55. DOI: 10.52173/2079-1100_2023_2_44